With a low hop profile and a full malty caramel sweetness, this strong scotch ale uses a 120 minute boil to help promote kettle carmelization. Raisin and toffee tones develop with age. Coming in at 9.1% abv, 5 gallons of this beer really can go a long way.
A yeast starter or pitching two packets of yeast is highly recommended for this high gravity beer. A blowoff tube would also be a good idea for the first week of fermentation.
Fresh Extract Recipe Kit
OG: 1.092 | FG: 1.026 | IBU: 27.0 | SRM: 20.4 | ABV: 9.3%
- 8 - oz Briess Crystal 40L
- 8 - oz Briess Crystal 60L
- 8 - oz Honey Malt
- 4 - oz Briess Crystal 120L
- 4 - oz Roasted Barley
- 4 - 3.3lbs Cans Briess Golden Light LME
- 3 - 1oz bags Northern Brewer Hops
- 2 - Wyeast Scottish Ale Activator Packs (Recommended $13.98)
- 1 - Wyeast Scottish Ale Activator Packs ($6.99)
- 1 - Whirlfloc Tablet